How can I have a Federal Public Defender represent me?

A financial affidavit will need to be filled out listing your income and expenses. It will be submitted to the United States District Court under the penalty of perjury when you appear before the Court. The Judge will determine if you have sufficient assets to hire your own legal representation. If you lack sufficient resources, the Judge can appoint the Federal Public Defender to represent you. If you feel that you cannot afford legal representation, please contact our office for assistance.

What types of cases does the Federal Public Defender provide legal representation for?

The Office of the Federal Public Defender represents individuals in federal court in the state of Mississippi. Legal representation is provided in criminal trials and criminal appeals as well as habeas corpus challenges to criminal convictions and sentences.